I wanted to create a dish that would not only be filling but was flavorful and not BORING. As I embark upon this plant based, “cleaner eating” lifestyle it’s IMPORTANT that food not look dull and be flavorless. Enjoy this recipe for Kale Salad Below are the key ingredients used in making the salad. I adapt the recipe ( meaning I just “eyeball” it). I don’t particularly measure I just work with ingredients that make sense and heighten the taste buds.
- Fresh Kale ( optional to take the stalk out)
- liquid smoke ( a spoonful will do) … this creates a nice aromatic smell while creating a smoky flavor.
- carrot strings
- Sweet tomatoes ( sliced or whole) .. I used pre-made salsa from Walmart
- cut apples ( skin on)
- chopped nuts ( walnuts, pecans, almonds)
Yup that’s all to it. Now for the vinaigrette
You can choose to buy off the shelf but for me I wanted to create my own ( preservative free and control the sugar).
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil chopped
- squeeze of lemon juice
- varied spices/seasonings for taste
- fruit of choice ( ex. peach, strawberry, blueberry)
- EVOO ( olive oil)
Blend, shake or stir and drizzle lightly over mixture. Refrigerate for several hours ( I chose overnite) and Voila.. you have a Kale salad.